Some days you just don’t have time for Chile Rellenos–especially when making enough for a family of four. But you still crave a little gooey goodness.
But if aren’t so fortunate, a lot of local groceries stores are touting Hatch Chiles on sale right now. Even a few, like our local Schoolhouse Produce, are roasting chiles on site!
1 lb (or 1 pint jar) Hatch Green Chiles, roasted & peeled
2 ounces Tillamook Aged White Cheddar or Monterrey Jack (Or both!)
2 ounces Cream Cheese
1/4 C half and half
6 egg whites
6 egg yolks
Fresh or Dried Onion
Fresh or Dried Garlic
- Grease a 2-qt baking dish and preheat oven 350º if baking.
- Whip the egg whites* until ribbons fall from the whip/beater. If for some reason your whites do not quite reach this stage the recipe should still work. The goal is light and fluffy egg whites. Set aside.
- Combine the yolks**, half and half, and cream cheese. Blend until smooth.
- Arrange the roasted chiles in the bottom of an oven safe casserole dish. Sprinkle onion, garlic, salt and pepper over the chiles. Spread a layer of cheese over the chiles.
- Pour the yolk mixture over the top of the cheese, then spoon the egg whites over the top.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until golden and eggs have set OR microwave for 2-3 minutes until eggs are nearly set. Broil on low until the top is golden and eggs are set.
* I often use my hand blender to whip up the egg whites. Make sure it is good and clean with no yolks. ** On the flip side, after a little rinsing the hand blender can then be used to whip up the yellows, no problem.